Understanding Liability in Large Truck Crashes
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IHHS), 4,119 deaths involved large trucks in 2019. 74% of deaths in large truck accidents in 2019 involved tractor-trailers, and 28% involved single-unit trucks. These staggering statistics are a cause for concern. Being involved in a tragic truck accident that caused severe injuries or death can devastate the victims and their families. Learn who can be held responsible for a severe truck crash.
Possible Responsible Parties in a Truck Accident
Many different individuals can be held responsible for causing a truck crash. Here are some parties that can be held liable for causing your injuries:
- The truck driver
- The owner of the truck or trailer
- The cargo loaders
- The truck manufacturer or parts manufacturer
- Local government or contractors responsible for road maintenance and design
The above are just a few examples of liable parties in a truck accident claim. Every case is different, so reaching out to a truck accident lawyer can examine the details of your case and uncover all responsible parties so you can seek the maximum compensation you deserve.
Steps to Take After a Truck Crash
First and foremost, it’s critical to get medical attention as soon as possible. While you may have walked away “without a scratch,” some injury symptoms may not show up for days or weeks after an accident. Here are some other things you should do:
- Report the accident to authorities and obtain a police report.
- Contact your insurance company and let them know about the accident.
- Take pictures of the damage to your car and the truck involved.
- Take photos of the accident scene.
- Get contact and insurance information of the truck driver.
- Get contact information of witnesses to the accident.
- Contact a truck accident lawyer to learn your rights.
How to Get Help After a Truck Accident
Truck crashes are one of the most severe kinds. Due to the weight and size of semi-trucks, smaller passenger cars sharing the roads with them are no match when it comes to crashes. If you or a loved one were injured in a large truck accident, you have the right to pursue a claim to receive compensation for your injuries. When you need help and support in the aftermath of a truck crash, our experienced attorneys are ready to protect your rights.
To discuss your case with an attorney at Tate Law Group, LLC, call (912) 234-3030 for a free consultation or contact us here.